As January kickstarts 2019, many of us are looking towards our new year’s resolutions. It’s always empowering to begin the year with positive vibes and a fresh perspective. One of the most common resolutions every year is getting fit, healthy and into shape. I think that’s wonderful! What could be better than trying to achieve a healthy lifestyle and putting HEALTHY at the top of your ‘to do’ list for 2019?
In this day and age, there are many workout classes and fitness trends to explore. Low impact exercise and a focus on recovery are sure to play critical roles in 2019’s top workout trends.
Of course, let’s be honest: Fitting in time to exercise can be tricky for many of us! Ultimately, it’s important to get into a routine. Prioritize and be realistic with your goals. Life gets busy, so come up with a workout plan that works for you and your individual lifestyle. Be realistic with your goals. Don’t go overboard and commit to something that you won’t stick to. Well, there is one thing you should commit to when exercising…FUN! Gone are the days when getting fit meant you had to stare at a wall while jogging solo on a treadmill. Get outside! Take a walk with friends or sign up for a different kind of workout class that you’ve never done before. There’s a workout class to suit everyone’s taste and style. That’s where this year’s Lemonade to Lace lineup comes in: From prior dancers to competitive hearts, there’s a class for every fitness fanatic to-be.
VIRTUAL CLASSES (AT HOME!)
With the growing popularity of Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and YouTube, it’s no surprise that streaming services are also taking over the fitness industry. Doing a barre workout or yoga class in your very own home via YouTube or other fitness apps is very appealing. After all, it comes right to you with just the tap of a finger, and there’s no rush to sign-up or worry about overcrowded classes! If you love prioritizing convenience over cost, there are two home-based immersive fitness products that you need to know about right now. Neither are cheap, but they are a good alternative to joining a high priced gym or workout facility. You will have a multisensory workout experience tapping into your sense of sight and sound in your own home. And, if you do the math, they eventually pay for themselves since you’ll be able to axe existing class programs. This is immersive fitness at its best!
MIRROR – https://www.mirror.co/showroom
Meet the world’s first nearly invisible home gym. This full-length
PELOTON – https://www.onepeloton.com/bike?
APP WORKOUTS THAT DON’T PHONE IT IN
Dread group classes and the stress of early sign-up? No worries! You can download these apps from the App store and workout on your own time in your own space and at your own pace.
- Workout Summary: Get personalized bodyweight training plan.
3 dayfree trial, then $9.99/month
- Workout Summary: Resistance, strength and circuit training workouts plus an added perk, the BBG (bikini body guide) workout which has transformed the bodies of many and shocked the fitness world.
- Prices: 7 days FREE week trial, $19.99 monthly subscription ($5 per week), $119.94 Yearly. One payment fee.
CLASS IS IN SESSION
Many people prefer fitness classes to
ORANGE THEORY https://www.orangetheoryfitness.com/
- Workout summary: 60 minutes, involves rotating on stations between treadmill, rowing machine, lifting room. Cardio + strength training in fast paced class. Motivational. Music included. Regular members encouraged to have watches to monitor heart rate, which gives feedback during class on the screen.
- Prices: Basic (four classes a month) costs $59; Elite (eight a month) $99; and Premier (unlimited) $159
I’ve taken an OrangeTheory class. It’s efficient, fast-paced and intense. If you love that competitive edge, this is a great workout for you. I know people who enjoy Orangetheory because they thrive in a competitive and challenging environment.
CORE POWER YOGA https://www.corepoweryoga.com/
- First free week trial + free mat/towel on first day.
- Workout summary: 60 minutes, three primary classes of C1, C2, Yoga Sculpt, Hot Yoga, Hot Yoga Fusion @ temperatures of of 94 degrees or above; either more yoga meditation (C1 + C2) or more of a sculpting, cardio, strength workout with CorePower Yoga 3.
- Prices: black tag membership – $189 with first month discount of $109; each individual class is $26.
PURE BARRE http://purebarre.com/
- Workout: 45-50 minute total body workouts. At the core of the Pure Barre technique is a thoughtful series of low impact, isometric movements that are designed to produce results.
- Prices: Single Class $28. Series and Class Packs available.
- Deals: Featured on GROUPON and FIRST WEEK FREE deals depending on location.
BAR METHOD https://barmethod.com/
- Workout: 45 minute class starts with a warm-up, upper-body exercises and push-ups followed by sequences of leg work at the barre and core exercises on matts on the floor. The workout uses few props like free weights, balls and mats but mainly uses your own bodyweight for resistance.
- Prices: New Client Introductory Special: 30 days Unlimited $99. Single Class $29. Series and Class Packs available. Check website for additional promotions.
- Workout Summary: 45 minutes, features high-intensity cardio, muscle-sculpting strength training, and rhythm-based choreography
- Prices: First Time Ride: $20, Single Class price $30, Series and Class Packs available. Check website for more information.
- Workout Summary: A variety of classes offered at all different levels focusing on fine-tuning alignment and developing awareness of body and breath.
- Prices: Single Class price $25. Series and Class Packs available.
Note: I’m touching on details of these companies that I deem important for customers. However, every class is different and has its own personality, depending on the city, studio location and the specific instructor. Music can vary and the atmosphere can vary. Ultimately, it’s about trial and error and discovering what is best for you and your health. Pricing and promotions can be different depending on location or city.
As far as I’m concerned, there’s nothing better than a really good stretch after an invigorating workout. Incorporating recovery training into your schedule is just as important as your actual workout; we’re hearing more about how this assisted stretching helps to build your flexibility and range of motion while providing relaxation. It is the best way to get a deep stretch safely and effectively. I’ve noticed more and more stretching studios opening up. Stretch Lab is just down the street from me. I’ve been there several times for a post-workout stretch and I love it! I actually gave each of our kids a Stretch Lab gift card as one of their holiday gifts. It feels that good!
STRETCH LAB https://stretchlab.com
One-On-One assisted full body stretching that focuses on all muscle groups.
Prices: Introductory Special for new clients only: 25 minute stretch $29 (only good Mon. – Fri.)
25 minute stretch $39
50 minute stretch $75
Assisted full body stretch
Prices: 25 minute stretch $45
55 minute stretch $100
Other forms of recovery training that I’ve been hearing more about are cryotherapy, infrared saunas, float tanks and lymphatic drainage. These places are popping up in and around Los Angeles, so I’m sure they’re in your city, too.
As I’m reflecting on what I’d like to accomplish this new year, I believe workout classes, fitness trends and recovery methods are simply add-ons to an overall wonderful lifestyle. If you take it all away, however, it all comes down to you. It comes down to you making the decision to live your best life, commit to a routine, discovering your rhythm, and taking that first step into a new chapter for 2019. Whether you’re 20 years old or 60, we’re all in this together, trying to be the best version of ourselves. Hopefully, this post helps you on your journey to feeling comfortable and confident. After all, it’s all about achieving: a healthy new you for the new year!
If you’re currently following me on INSTAGRAM, I want to send you a big Thank you! Hearing from you makes my world go ‘round. If not, please check out @lemonadetolace on your INSTAGRAM app and tap FOLLOW.